community.lsst.org replaces traditional mailing lists as a way of broadcasting announcements and getting technical support from the community. Even though this forum lessens your email overload, you can still get emails whenever a new topic is created in the categories or tags you want to follow.
As an example, we’ll subscribe to the Announcements category.
First, go to the Announcements category page. It’s easy to get to using either the Categories button on the homepage navigation bar or the site’s menu (see 1 and 2 in the screenshot):
Then click on the Circle Icon button (3 in the screenshot) in the category’s menu bar. Select a notification setting (4 in the screenshot):
Here’s what each setting does:
- Watching. Get notifications for all new topics and replies in this category.
- Tracking. Get notifications of new topics, or when you’re mentioned.
- Watching First Post. Get notifications of new topics, but not when you’re mentioned.
- Normal. Only get notifications when you’re mentioned. Like Twitter.
- Muted. You won’t get any notifications from this category. Topics from this category won’t appear on the Community forum homepage either. This is useful for Categories that you know you won’t be interested in.
If you have community.lsst.org open in your browser, you’ll see a notification appear in real time on the site. If you’re not logged into the site, an email will be sent to you.
You can unsubscribe from these notifications at any time by changing your settings back to Regular.
Besides categories, you can also watch or track posts associated with Tags. You can see a listing of available tags here: https://discourse-dev.lsst.codes/tags.