For my entire career in astronomy, the registration of images to a reference coordinate system, or even just to each other, has consumed far more time than I would like to admit.
Astrometric fitting continues to be a challenge in the modern era for reasons both stupid and interesting.
I thus ask for the collective wisdom to contribute their thoughts, suggestions, and requests.
When you are debugging a failed astrometric solution:
- How did you know it failed?
- what approaches do you take?
- What do you look at?
- How do you visualize what’s going wrong?
- How do you verify later that you’ve fixed things?
- What additional challenges do multi-CCD focal planes add to the debugging and complexity of solutions?
What tools do you wish you had to make any of these steps easier?